Saturday, July 4, 2009

Scholastic: Alice The Fairy



Donning a fairy costume inspires a little girl's imagination in this droll picture book. Alice speaks for herself, claiming she can fly, can change her dad into a horse, can make herself disappear, and can turn oatmeal into cake by pouring on fairy dust. There are elements of danger, such as broccoli poisoned by the wicked Duchess (Mom) and baths (fairies hate baths), as well as mischief ("…my mom made cookies for my dad. So I turned them into mine") and mishaps ("Once I accidentally turned my white dress into a red one"). Alice knows that Permanent fairyhood requires a lot of tests, attending Advanced Fairy School, and learning how to "make clothes get up off the floor and… line up in the closet," so she'll "probably be a Temporary fairy forever."

Reading level: Ages 4-8
32 pages

No comments:

Post a Comment